18.5.11

memories: my grandparents

this image reminds me of my late grandparents house. 

i can vividly remember their house, the lay out and the smells. the last time i visited their house i was probably only 8 or 9 (a long time ago). 
my grandmother was indonesian and my grandfather dutch. they lived in an old apartment not far from the city centre of the hague. years later, when i studied in the same city- i would cycle past it almost every day on my way to 'art school'. 
i almost could smell the cooking of my grandmother and my
grandfathers cigars...

...when i saw this image something triggered my memory. 
it was the library in my grandparents flat- on the left, when you walked into the room with a large desk. there were lots of beautiful indonesian ceramics and carvings. on the right was his chair in front of big windows where he would sit and read books and smoke cigars. 

 next to that was the dining room with a big table, beautifully set with white linen, big white plates and silver cutlery. in the same room was a narrow table with the most beautiful shells my grandmother collected. i would carefully touch them and would right my name on the dust of the bigger shells. 

the kitchen (with the black and white tiles) was were all the most delicious smells came out. lots of pots and pans were my grandmother would cook the most amazing indonesian dishes. 
the dark hallway were in one of the cupboards my grandmother would hide her chocolates, bonbons. a lot of them would have little bites out of them- ...she didn't like these.


source: image via +

10 comments:

Unknown said...

what a beautiful description Mady - and a great memory to have! I love the way smells and photos can trigger memories like that. I love the bit about bites out of the chocolate - I always remember my younger brother as a toddler pening the sliding doors of the glass cake counter in our small local store, where they had the cakes - he would always swipe his finger along the icing and try and get either a cherry or strawberry - we always had to leave, very very quickly!

elena nuez said...

you have made me remember old smells and sensations with this post, thanks for that!!!

greenbeenfood said...

just gorgeous...i can imagine myself there with you. x

Kate Kelleher said...

Gorgeous Mady. I bet you grandmother never dusted your name away, it would have made her smile.

Jaime/GirlLovesGloss said...

Love reading about your memories :-)

alma said...

Moving... it reminds me of MY grandparents. Thanks!

Magdalena said...

beautiful memories...

anyaadores said...

Such an amazing journey visually in my mind - and the smells, I remember the smells from my grandparents house as well - wow - thanks for bringing me back there. Have a great weekend.
A xx

Patrick Lucas said...

j'aime

Audrey said...

reminds me of my own grandmother, she use to live in Maastricht, when she visit us in Nijmegen, she stayed for a week and then she also cooked the best indonesian dishes and always drinking black coffee when she was cooking. The smell and her presence...I will never forget.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...